Babies Hospital was operated from 1920-1978. This postcard dates from prior to 1956 because that was when a third story was added. The hospital was built at the beach to take advantage of the idea that ocean breezes could cure childhood ailments. It was the only purely pediatric care facility in North Carolina for almost 50 years. Nurses throughout North and South Carolina would come here for their pediatric training. The original wooden building burned down in 1927 and was rebuilt as the building seen in this postcard. This building was used as offices after the hospital closed in 1978 and finally was demolished in 2004.